August 31, 2017
Hello NESOP Community!
We here at NESOP are busily preparing for the final stages of our move to 274 Moody Street in Waltham, MA. As such, we wanted to let you know a few things:
- The last day to access NESOP facilities at its current 537 Commonwealth Avenue location in Kenmore Square will be Sunday, September 10, 2017.
- NESOP's administration and staff is set to be in place at 274 Moody Street, Waltham, MA on September 27, 2017--stop by to visit us if you'd like! Offices will be open and staff will be preparing to welcome our new first year Professional Photography Program students and welcome back our returning second year Professional Photography Program students at orientation on September 28th.
- Many of us will be traveling between our "old" Boston location and our new Waltham location from September 11th-September 26th. If you need to meet with someone on the administration or staff during that time, please call ahead to be sure s/he will be available to meet with you and/or schedule an appointment for your meeting.
- NESOP's facilities at the new Waltham location will be open for use and all classes (Professional Photography Program and (evening) workshops) begin on October 2, 2017.
- As you know, NESOP is one of the few places where you may still use a traditional darkroom. So, in addition to the expanded facilities and extensive digital classroom space, we are adding a darkroom to the new building. The goal is to have the darkroom built out and ready for use by January 2018!
Current NESOP Students, Graduates, Workshop Students:
This is the start of a new era at NESOP, and we excitedly look forward to a new year and a long future in our new building at 274 Moody Street in Waltham, MA! Of course, we will very much miss the place we've called home for 45+ years. So, we're leaving our mark on it, and we hope you'll join us:
STOP BY THE "OLD" NESOP AT 537 COMMONWEALTH AVENUE IN KENMORE SQUARE, BOSTON, MA DURING ANY OPEN HOURS BEFORE SEPTEMBER 10, 2017 AND SIGN YOUR NAME TO A (designated) WALL IN OUR GARNER CENTER FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBITIONS (the gallery).
IT IS OUR HOPE THAT YOU'LL LEAVE YOUR SIGNATURE ALONGSIDE MANY OTHERS, SAY GOODBYE TO OUR BELOVED OLD BUILDING AND TAKE A PICTURE AT "THE GREAT WALL OF NESOP."
We'll miss our old digs, but certainly hope we take you all with us to Waltham. See you there!
July 19, 2017
We are excited to inform you that NESOP is currently in the final stages of negotiating a lease on its new (future) location: 274 Moody Street in Waltham, MA (the former CDIA/CDA building)!
As you may know, in December, Related Beal purchased several BU properties in Kenmore Square-including NESOP's 537 Commonwealth Avenue location. With our lease ending in June 2018, NESOP aggressively renewed its search for a new building. We began touring and considering many options within and around the city while simultaneously surveying our students regarding their commutes and location preferences. Recently, Related Beal exercised an early termination option which requires NESOP to vacate our current location by November 30, 2017. As a result, we focused our location search on buildings that would require minimal build-out and be ready for occupancy in September. The Moody Street location became the perfect solution to an almost impossible situation. We presented our options and our plan to our Program Advisory Committee (PAC) for review and feedback, and news of the Waltham location was met with excitement, positive commentary and the full support of our PAC members.
NESOP is happy to secure the Waltham location which offers many benefits to our program and our community, including:
- A larger facility of over 15,000 square feet!
- A vibrant community with local, active art associations and organizations.
- Plentiful and more affordable parking options both on the street and in several easily accessible lots close to and around the building.
- Improved frontage and curb appeal and opportunities for better signage.
- Street-level, natural light gallery space which serves as a welcoming and inspirational entrance to NESOP while allowing us to better showcase our Garner Center exhibiting artists.
- More affordable housing options for our full-time Professional Photography Program students.
- A location closer to many of our existing workshop students with opportunities to refresh our workshop population with new students who had previously avoided the "trip into the city (Kenmore Square)."
- Home to a former photography school, the facility will require minimal build-out and is designed with many of our specific needs in mind.
- Nearby public transportation (commuter rail and bus).
- A long-term lease, ensuring security in our new home.
We will have a very busy summer preparing for the move so that we can launch our Professional Photography Program and fall workshops in October 2017 in the new space!